Easy and delicious! Forget fussing over fancy sauces or breading and frying. This is a winner in every way! Delicate fillets of sole roasted in a sauce of lemon, capers, parsley, green onions and butter (of course). Best of all, it is ready in less than half hour and it’s such a pretty dish, your family will be impressed.
I pretty much love anything that is cooked with lemon, butter, garlic and fresh herbs, so it’s no surprise that I liked this dish so much. I mean, how can you go wrong? Just toss it all together, throw it in the oven and voila! Dinner is served. I served the sole with sauteed spinach and a combination of long grain brown and wild rice, which was great in sopping up the yummy lemon butter and provided fiber along with bumping up the nutrients.
We all know that fish is a good, lean source of protein that is low in calories and fat but high in vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B. When deciding to prepare fish, make sure it comes from a sustainable source. Seafood Watch is a great source of information on purchasing seafood that is fished or farmed in ways that have less of an impact on the environment and the species. They recommend that the Best Choice is to buy sole from the Western United States and The Gulf of Alaska.
TIPS: If you can’t find sole, you can substitute another light fish, like flounder or seabass. Sole is very thin so most people will eat 2 or 3 fillets, so gauge your audience and their appetites. You can also substitute shallots for the sliced green onions and chives for the slivered scallions, if need be. This is an easy company dish that can be prepared before guests arrive and roasted just before salads are served. If you platter the sole, make sure you save the yummy juice to pour over side dishes or vegetables.
EASY OVEN ROASTED SOLE
- 1.5 lb Sole fillets (about a dozen thin fillets)
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 1 lemon, sliced
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsn capers
- 4 green onions
- 1 Tbsn parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Zest lemon and then squeeze the juice.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil and melted butter, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Rinse and dry fish fillets and arrange them in a single layer in a large oiled baking pan. Overlapping is fine if you need to fit them in the pan.
- Pour the lemon butter sauce over the fish.
- Slice half of the scallions into thin circles and slice the rest in half vertically and then into thin julienne slivers.
- Sprinkle the fish with capers, parsley, lemon zest and green onion circles. Top with lemon slices and scallion slivers.
- Roast at 400 degrees F-heated oven for 10-15 minutes. Broil the last 5 minutes. (Yes, it’s done. Don’t overcook!)
- Remove from the oven and serve warm. (That’s my plate. You can tell I like my greens…)
Easy Oven Roasted Sole with Lemon and Capers