People often ask for food recommendations. Here it is people – one of my top five favorite dishes so far! This is a Wow! dish. I have updated a few photos from this 2014 blog when Goodmotherdiet was only 2 months old and I was a newbie at food photography. I can remember feeling it was a major accomplishment just to get a photo onto the blog regardless of quality. But I digress… Black and wild rice, roasted butternut squash, scallions, pumpkin seeds, pomegranate and microgreens, all topped with a yummy honey vinaigrette! I have made this dish out of season with dried cranberries or cherries with good results but nothing compares to the zing and pop that you only get from pomegranate seeds.
I love this grain salad because it can serve as a main course or a hearty side dish. It’s fabulous as a party or buffet dish since it’s served at room temperature. It can be made ahead and you just toss it when ready to serve.
To see the original blog post click on the link: https://goodmotherdiet.com/2014/01/27/meatless-monday-black-wild-rice-with-roasted-squash/amp/ But check out the new photos and recipe below first to see all of the goodness that goes into this dish. -Joyce
BLACK AND WILD RICE SALAD WITH ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND POMEGRANATE
- 1 1/2 cup black rice
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- kosher salt
- 1/2 medium or 1 small butternut squash
- 1/2 cup olive oil (divided)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup microgreens (or parsley or cilantro)
- 1/2 cup pistachios (or pepitas – shelled pumpkin seeds)
- Cook black rice and wild rice in a large pot of boiling water with about 4 cups vegetable broth or salted water about 35 minutes or until tender. Remove from pot into a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 450. Half, seed and peel the squash and cut into cubes. I found a small squash so used the whole thing. Place squash cubes in a baking dish and toss with 1/4 cup olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast squash 20 to 25 minutes, stirring a couple of times. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Whisk vinegar, honey and 1/4 cup oil in a large bowl. Add rice, squash, pomegranate, microgreens and pistachios; toss to combine.
- To make ahead, combine all ingredients except for dressing and microgreens and refrigerate. For serving, bring to room temperature, add dressing and microgreens and toss.
2 thoughts on “Black & Wild Rice Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash & Pomegranate”
Beautiful! Looks very happy…yay!
Thank you June!