You have heard of Oprah’s Favorite Things. Well this is not that. I can’t give you a free car or a surprise gift under your seat, more like several fun and easy vegan and vegetarian cooking hacks and ideas for quick and easy appetizers and meals. People are often surprised when they come over and I haven’t made everything that I’m serving. However, I love a good shortcut just as well as anyone. So when I see something that I really like that saves me time or is an easy presto-chango dish that I can put on the table at the last minute, I’m all in. It’s always nice to have a few tricks up our sleeves (or in our freezers), especially with the holidays already here.
Okay, it’s actually 13 favorites plus a bonus. I just miscounted and didn’t want to remake the collage. Trader Joe’s has quite a few frozen foods that are actually really high quality and an excellent selection of vegetarian and vegan foods. They also have the best selection of nuts, cheeses and snacks as well as some good prepared foods for when you REALLY don’t even want to turn on the oven. Here is a list of some of my current favorites and some suggestions. My top five that I always have in my refrigerator/freezer are Starred. Oh, by the way, I’m not getting paid to mention Trader Joe’s products. I’m just sharing because I like you and its the season of giving.
- VEGETABLE BIRD’S NESTS (VEGAN)*
- BANH MI INSPIRED NOODLE BOWL (VEGETARIAN/DRESSING HAS EGGS)
- THAI VEGETABLE GYOZA(VEGAN)*
- FIVE CHEESE GREEK SPIRAL (VEGETARIAN)*
- MIDEAST STYLE FEAST (VEGAN)*
- EGGPLANT CUTLETS (VEGAN)
- MEATLESS MEATBALLS (VEGAN)
- SEEDY ALMOND SALAD TOPPERS (VEGAN)
- CARAMELIZED ONION AND FETA BITES (VEGETARIAN)
- CAULIFLOWER AND BROCCOLI VEGGIE PATTIES(VEGETARIAN/EGGWHITES)
- FRENCH ONION SOUP (VEGETARIAN)
- BUTTERNUT SQUASH MAC AND CHEESE (VEGETARIAN)
- VEGETARIAN SAMOSAS (VEGAN)*
- BONUS! PUMPKIN SPICE ALMOND BEVERAGE. JUST IN TIME FOR THE HOLIDAYS!
SCROLL DOWN FOR PHOTOS, DESCRIPTIONS AND SERVING SUGGESTIONS.
- VEGETABLE BIRD’S NESTS (VEGAN): These tasty treats are like a potato latke on steroids but with kale and other vegetables rather than potatoes. They are crispy and delicious and come with their own soy dipping sauce. Ready in 20 minutes.
And here is the finished product…great as an appetizer or a side dish. Especially great for your non-dairy friends. Buy two boxes, just because. You can thank me later.
2. BANH MI INSPIRED NOODLE BOWL (VEGETARIAN/DRESSING HAS EGGS) I love this combination of ingredients which are well balanced with lots of protein. The dressing is really good too. This is large enough for two meals for me but you may devour the whole thing in one sitting.
Just toss together with the yummy, slightly spicy dressing. I like to cut the tofu into smaller cubes for easier eating and better dressing ratio.
3. THAI VEGETABLE GYOZA(VEGAN): This is my favorite Sunday breakfast served with fresh edamame, sliced oranges and the Sunday paper. Whip up a quick dipping sauce of soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and sriracha while they’re cooking and you’re good to go. Or provide small bowls and let your diners create their own dipping sauce. I recommend skillet directions. Ready in less than 10 minutes.
These are a house favorite. Really delicious!
4. FIVE CHEESE GREEK SPIRAL (VEGETARIAN): Need I say more? Just delicious and decadent with a wonderfully flakey pastry crust. I will admit to making this my whole meal. Not on purpose, it just kind of happened. Ready in 30 minutes.
This will go fast! Guaranteed…
5. MIDEAST STYLE FEAST (VEGAN): This is an entire value meal; stuffed grape leaves, hummus, lentil salad and tomato cracked bulgar wheat salad. I love every part of this ready to eat HEARTY feast. Grab a fork!
This is a hearty meal for one or two people or an appetizer for a small group. Just re-plate and go… and maybe add pita chips or naan. Of course, you can make it prettier than this with some fresh herbs or a sprinkle of feta cheese.
6. EGGPLANT CUTLETS (VEGAN) These breaded eggplant slices are a great time saver. There are so many ways to use them. Bake in a hot oven until brown and crispy, then let your imagination take over. Layer them with tomato sauce and cheese for a quick eggplant parmesan. Tip: Only cook what you are going to use right away. They don’t refrigerate well.
Roast and build a super sandwich with your favorite ingredients. Or just serve as they are with a drizzle of olive oil and some fresh herbs.
7. MEATLESS MEATBALLS (VEGAN): These soy protein based meatballs have good flavor and texture. Saute with tomato sauce and serve with toothpicks as an appetizer, a slider or over pasta. (Sauce not included)
Everybody loves a good meatball.
8. SEEDY ALMOND SALAD TOPPERS (VEGAN): These were such a great find. This combination of seeds, nuts and spices will up your salad game and make any salad seem like you labored over a recipe. Just open one of the individual packets and sprinkle over any combination of greens, veggies or fruit. Drizzle something. Done!
9. CARAMELIZED ONION AND FETA BITES (VEGETARIAN): I have made these by hand and they are delicious but it’s way easier to just pull them out of the freezer and pop them in the oven. Delicious appetizers ready in 25 minutes while you get the wine ready.
I have had them turn out prettier before, but I was making lots of food for a book group, so may have been rushed as my guests were arriving. I know I dropped a few while plating. They are really tasty though and small one bite treats.
10, CAULIFLOWER AND BROCCOLI VEGGIE PATTIES(VEGETARIAN/ CONTAINS EGGWHITES) These tasty cakes made with broccoli, cauliflower and potatoes were a pleasant surprise and a good quick little snack or appetizer. They are a decent size but there are only four per box. I recommend stove top instructions. Ready in 12 to 17 minutes. Serve immediately for best results.
I served these veggie cakes with a jalapeno tartar sauce for me and a spicy cocktail sauce for my husband. They would also be good with a salad as a light meal.
11. FRENCH ONION SOUP (VEGETARIAN): Most onion soups have a beef based stock but this one features a nice vegetarian broth along with the traditional onions, swiss cheese and crouton. Ready in 5 to 40 minutes depending on preparation.
Be warned. There are only two servings in each package. My husband asked for seconds. Oops!
12.BUTTERNUT SQUASH MAC AND CHEESE (VEGETARIAN) This mac and cheese has a nice cheesy sauce and the butternut squash adds some extra flavor (and nutrition too). Microwave five minutes.
This is comfort food at its best. Dig in…
13. VEGETABLE SAMOSAS (VEGAN): These are seriously delicious! These crispy triangles are filled with an Indian spiced mashed potatoes, carrots, peas and lentils. I like them hot from the oven. They are also a great small size for passed appetizers.
BONUS! PUMPKIN SPICE ALMOND BEVERAGE: Start your morning off right with this seasonal, not too sweet, pumpkin spice ‘milk’ frothed into your coffee. It’s like the holidays in a cup. Savor one sip at a time…